Welcome to this weeks Wellness Wednesday Blog Post!
We often hear about wellbeing, mindfulness, fitness and wellness when it comes to our health. But what exactly is wellness? Well I would like to try to clarify this confusing topic so we may infuse more wellness in our everyday lives.
The Global Wellness Institute defines wellness as "the active pursuit of activities, choices and lifestyles that lead to a state of holistic health. Wellness is often confused with terms such as health, wellbeing and happiness. While there are common elements among them, wellness is associated with an active process of being aware and making choices that lead toward an outcome of optimal holistic health and wellbeing (https://globalwellnessinstitute.org/what-is-wellness/)."
Let's look at this concept a little more in depth and what it consists of. Below are the 6 dimensions of wellness.
1. Physical: a healthy body through exercise, nutrition and sleep
2. Mental: Engagement with the world through learning, problem solving, creativity etc.
3. Emotional: Being in touch with, aware of, accepting of, and able to express one’s feelings (and those of others).
4. Spiritual: Our search for meaning and purpose in human existence.
5. Social: Connecting with, interacting with, and contributing to other people and our communities.
6. Environmental: A healthy physical environment free of hazards; awareness of the role we play in bettering rather than denigrating the natural environment.
The Global Wellness Institute states that "wellness is proactive, preventative and self driven. People focus proactively on prevention and maximizing their vitality. They adopt attitudes and lifestyles that prevent disease, improve health, and enhance their quality of life and a sense of wellbeing (https://globalwellnessinstitute.org/what-is-wellness/)."
Many people may be ready to start incorporating wellness into their lives but may not know how to start. Well that is why I am here! I want to help jump start your journey by providing you with knowledge, self-care techniques and wellness tools that you can easily add to your busy day. Stop in next week for some ideas of how to infuse more wellness techniques to your daily routines! Thanks for taking the time out of your day to spend time with us today! Stay well!
The Global Wellness Institute: https://globalwellnessinstitute.org/what-is-wellness/